Wednesday, March 1, 2017

Remember You are Dust

"Flowers in the Wilderness"

This is “Ash Wednesday” on the Christian calendar - millions of people all over the globe will have a smudge of ash placed on their foreheads today as they hear the words:

Remember you are dust,
and unto dust you shall return

When I was growing up I used to think of Ash Wednesday as a pretty ominous, gloomy day.  Being reminded that one day I would be be nothing more than a pile of “dust” was a scary notion to me. On top of it all, Ash Wednesday is also the beginning of the season of Lent and the message I would often hear throughout the Lenten season always sounded like a threat that we all had better repent of our sins if we expected to go to heaven when we eventually returned to dust.  Suffice it to say that, as a boy, this was never my favorite time of year.

I must honestly say that I now have a completely different take about the “dust” of Ash Wednesday. Today when I am reminded that I am made of dust, I reflect upon the fact that the dust of which we are all made is literally stardust. The iron in our blood, calcium in our bones and the very oxygen we breath are in fact the dust and ashes of stars that lived and died long long ago. The thought of being made of “dust” reminds me that each of us is part of something far bigger than our own individual self.

On Ash Wednesday, the prospect of returning to the dust is not a threat at all to me; rather it is a hopeful promise. Everything dies but nothing ever stops being. Each of us is part of the One and at death we return to the Source, we become the One – nothing gloomy about that.

I am reminded of something Zen Master Thich Nhat Hanh once taught:

You are made of water.
if you remove the water, there is no ‘you’ left.
You are made of earth.
If you remove the element of earth, there is no ‘you’ left.
You are made of air.
If you remove the air from you, there is no ‘you’ left.
You are made of light.
Without the sunlight you cannot survive.
You are made of stars.
On a clear night you can look up and see that you are in the stars above.

It seems to me that this teaching of a Zen Master may well have captured the essence of the Christian meaning of Ash Wednesday, a message that is not only directed to observant Christians who walk around with a spot of dust on their foreheads on this day.

As I see it, “Ash Wednesday” offers a message that can be universally embraced by every single human being. It reminds us all that we are more than our tiny little selves. We are not isolated separated individuals but rather we are all part of something far more cosmic and transcendent.

There is a saying attributed to the Buddha:

I saw stars within me, sun rising and sunset, full-moon nights-
Everything within me, not without me.
It was my boundary that had been keeping them out.
Now the boundary is no more and everything has fallen in
Now I am the whole.

The dust of Ash Wednesday reminds me that we all came from “God,” we all abide in “God” and we all return to “God.”  Today is a day when all of us regardless of our faith, beliefs or spiritual path might smudge some ash on our foreheads and walk around reminding one another of this profound and universal truth:

Remember you are stardust,
and unto the stars you shall return.

No comments:

Post a Comment