Saturday, April 9, 2016

The Blame Game

"Wisdom"
- in my meditation garden -

We are only in the “primaries” phase of the upcoming U.S. presidential elections and, to be honest,  I am already tired of all the speeches, ads and posturing. In fact, I have come to the point where I can barely pick up a paper, turn on the news, or click onto Facebook without feeling that I cannot possibly listen to one more derogatory speech or view one more post about whose fault it is that the country is in such deep trouble as Republicans blame Democrats for an immigration crisis or weakness in our defense against terror attacks; and Democrats say, “No, it’s your fault.” Trump blames Obama, and Hillary blames Bush, as everyone plays the “Blame Game” – a necessary ingredient in the process of getting elected.

It all reminds me of something the philosopher, Bertrand Russell, once said as he humorously quipped, “Democracy is the process by which people choose the person who’ll get the blame.”

As I reflect on it, I think I am already so exhausted by all the current election rhetoric because playing the “Blame Game” is actually a deeply destructive spiritual impediment, a roadblock on any path to deeper wisdom and greater truth. I find that all the chatter about another person’s faults and failures to be spiritually draining for me.

When I look across a wide spectrum of the wisdom teachings of the great religious traditions, I discover that all warn against sliding down the “slippery slope” of searching out and judging the faults of others while failing to see the faults in one’s own self.

Jesus taught:

Why do you see the speck in your neighbor’s eye,
but do not notice the log in your own eye?
Or how can you say to your neighbor,
‘Friend let me take the speck out of your eye,’
when you do not see the log in your own eye?
You hypocrite,
first take the log out of your own eye,
and then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your neighbor’s eye.


The Buddha taught a similar wisdom:

The faults of others are easier to see than your own faults;
the faults of others are easily seen, for they are like chaff,
but one’s own faults are hard to see.

And in the Holy Quran, the Prophet Mohammed likewise teaches:  

Glad tidings to the person more concerned about his own faults
than bothering about the faults of others.

In some sense it is always much easier and far more comfortable to see the faults of others, heaping blame on them for the difficulties of life: “I can never get anything accomplished at work because my colleagues are so incompetent;” “We wouldn’t have a problem in this relationship if my spouse (or girlfriend or boyfriend) was willing to spend more time with me.”

And yet, as I think about my own experiences I am well aware that whenever I have resorted to playing the “Blame Game” in my life, I almost inevitably have done so from the vantage point of my own ego. In fact almost every single time I have found a fault in another person, that fault is almost always something about myself that I don’t like but I am afraid or unwilling to admit or take responsibility for.

When I judge others for their faults I am usually speaking with the voice of my own self- centered ego. It somehow makes “me” feel better if I can look at and judge the faults of someone else without having to look at my own life, somehow doing this seems to protect “me” from my failures; and yet it is only when I am vulnerable enough to look into the eyes of my own imperfections that the ego starts to break apart.

 Since all of us will no doubt be forced to endure at least several more months of the inevitable “Blame Game” rhetoric of presidential politics, I think I may use this as an opportunity for practicing a spiritual discipline on my own part. When I hear people talking about the speck in the eyes of others, I will take the time to see if I can discover the log in my own eye.

1 comment:

  1. A timely post for me as I feel some resentment towards my partner. That little old speck in his eye had been chafing, yet I know there is a great big log in my own eye. It's just hard sometimes to step out from the bonds of the ego into a wider field of awareness. But your blog post is such a helpful reminder, and an inspiration to back off and reflect. Thank you so much xxx

    ReplyDelete