Sunday, May 26, 2013

Relationships



night approaches and the moon appears in the desert skies

While I love mornings in the desert, I think I am more drawn to the night time.

I look up at the moon and stars in the crystal clear night sky and everything is so vast, so boundless.  As I look to the heavens, I always feel like I am being  drawn out of my "self." Gazing up at the vast cosmic night sky, I let go of the illusion that I am an isolated, separate individual, and I experience the deeper realty that I am part of it "all".  I am a relationship with everything that is.

On this day, many Christian churches throughout the world celebrate "Trinity Sunday," professing  a belief that God is Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. 

I think most people (including many, if not most Christians) have very little idea as to what it means to say that God is a Trinity.  After all, how can there be three persons and one God? It's just too confusing to even bother with, and what difference does it make after all. 

For me, although the theological jargon explaining what the "trinity" means is complex and obtuse, the basic concept of God as Trinity is actually quite profound, and thinking of God as a Trinity makes a big difference. 

Simply put, if God is a Trinity, God IS a dynamic relationship. The "one" God is a dynamic relationship of love and this relationship permeates the entire creation. 

This provides a very different lens for imagining and thinking about God.

Everything that has being springs up from God and reflects God, and so everything that has being is a relationship - nothing is  isolated, nothing is separated. 

So I look up into the night sky and I see the Trinity - everything dancing and swirling around together,  all the peoples of the earth, the moon and the stars in the sky, palm trees and towering mountains, and I experience one dynamic relationship reflecting the nature of the God who creates and sustains it all. 

I look up in awe and wonder because I am right in the middle of the dance. 

On this Christian festival of Trinity Sunday, I draw upon the words of an Islamic mystical poet. I also turn to the words of a Buddhist monk to hep me in my Trinitarian reflection:

By day I sang with you, at night we sleep together -
night or day, I was not sure.
I thought I knew who I was,
but I was you.
(Rumi)

You are me, and I am you.
Isn't it obvious that we "inter-are?"
(Thich Nhat Hanh)

Blessed be God, Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. 


No comments:

Post a Comment