Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Resiliency

lush foliage along a desert trail near my retreat house

I am always amazed at the richness of life that comes forth in an apparently barren, dry desert - the sound of exotic birds, the smell of fragrant herbs and flowers, the sight of blooming cacti and budding trees are intoxicating to me.  It's hard for me to fathom how rocky, sandy, dry earth,  almost no rain, and summertime temperatures into the triple digits can generate and nurture such lush abundance.

The desert is a wise teacher.

I walked along a trail today and reflected on the fact that the desert was teaching me something about resiliency. We human beings are indeed filled with potential to bloom and flourish, even when the path of life seems rocky and it seems like we are dried up. 

In fact, the richest and most abundant life can spring up out of the driest places.

I have been reading a book by Dr. Alex Lickerman, titled "The Undefeated Mind." He says something about the resiliency of the human spirit that rings so true to me - especially in light of what I am learning from the desert in which I live:

"An undefeated mind isn't one that never feels discouraged or despairing; it's one that continues on in spite of it.  Even when we can't find a smile to save us, even when we're tired beyond all endurance, possessing an undefeated mind means never forgetting that defeat comes not from failing but from giving up."

Jesus said, "The Kingdom of God is within you." 

May you bloom and flourish today!



No comments:

Post a Comment