Tuesday, March 26, 2013

A Universal Prayer for Holy Time

a desert trail near my retreat house

The beginning of Spring is a sacred time of the year for most religions. Today is the first full day of Passover for the Jewish People, and Christians are celebrating Holy Week. Regardless of faith or background,  when the hint of Spring fills the air the human spirit begins to stir with hope that something new is rising up.

This morning, I came across a beautiful Sufi prayer (Sufis are the mystics of Islam). The prayer talks about walking down a narrow path with a wide outlook. I think that's what all religious paths should be - narrow enough so that we can clearly follow,  but always giving us a broad outlook. 

In this Holy Week and Passover season, I am praying this universal prayer because it helps me to be on my Christian path without being limited by the restrictions of religious boundaries. This prayer gives voice to the sacred Springtime stirrings in every human heart. 

I invite you to pray this beautiful  prayer today, and when you do so, look at the the picture of the desert trail in this posting. It seems most appropriate.


A SUFI PRAYER 

Give me, O God
Deep thoughts
High Dreams
Few words
Much silence
The narrow Path
The wide outlook
The end in Peace.



1 comment:

  1. Sufi! The path I seek.
    Wow! Dear Light!
    Truly kindred are we.
    Big Love, Dr. Paul.
    Peace.
    Cocoa

    ReplyDelete